The SEQUAL (Supportive Education and Quality Palliative Care) is an innovative programme between aged residential care (ARC) facilities in MidCentral DHB, Rangitīkei and Arohanui Hospice. The programme is in response to the recognition by the Ministry of Health to provide quality palliative care for all, regardless of diagnosis or care setting. The overall aim is to improve the experience for those with a palliative care need in aged residential care.
Why focus on aged care?
There is a growing need for primary palliative care in aged residential care. Projections show an increasing number of people are dying in this care setting.
How is this achieved?
A small team of specialist practitioners from Arohanui Hospice will work in partnership with ARC facility staff.
The SEQUAL team;
- Supports palliative care best practice
- Provides clinical mentoring and coaching by specialist palliative care nurses
- Supports ARC staff and providers to actively plan and provide primary palliative and end of life care
- Facilitates the implementation of a quality framework to measure primary palliative care
- Strengthens collaboration and integration between specialist and primary palliative care services
How does this differ from hospice care?
The SEQUAL team focusses on supporting staff to care for all those in aged care with an identified primary palliative care need. The Arohanui Hospice team will continue to work with those who have complex specialist palliative care need.
- Joelle Mudgway CNS (Lead) SEQUAL Palliative Care – 021 220 2274
- Lyn Stewart, RN Palliative Care, 027 230 2737
Also supported by Arohanui Hospice psycho-social, spiritual and cultural teams.
- Abbey Pain Scale
- Oral Care for someone who is dying
- Nutrition and Hydration
- Oral Care
- Pain Assessment
- PRN Medication use in Palliative Care
- PRN Medication and dose guidelines for end of life
- Subcutaneous Infusion Drug Compatibility Chart
- Syringe Driver Information
- Syringe Driver Hire Agreement
- Terminal Restlessness & Agitation
- Pain Factsheet
- Respiratory Tract Secretions
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Last Days of Life Care Plan for the Dying Person
- Recognising Dying
- Implantable cardioverter deflbrillators (ICD) Management
- After Death Care
- Dyspnoea Factsheet
- Verification of Death
- Assessment and Care Management of Restlessness and Agitation in the Dying patient Flowchart
- Administering anticipatory medications in end-of-life care
- Before Burial or Cremation
- Bereavement Support Guidelines
- Bereavement Support Toolkit
- Referral to Arohanui Hospice Bereavement Service
- Gaining the most from life
- Helpful Resources
- Last Days of Life Care – Plan for the Dying Person
- Last Days of Life Care – Ongoing Assessment of the Goals of Care
- Last Days of Life Care – Progress Notes Sheet
- Last Days of Life Care – Interventions Required Sheet
- Palliative Care – Early Identification
- MCDHB Pain Assessment Prompt Card
- Pain Assessment Cards
- Palliative Approach Family Meeting Invitation and Family Questionnaire
- Planning for a Funeral
- Referral to MDHB Specialist Palliative Care Services
- When and how to use a syringe driver in palliative care