The SEQUAL (Supportive Education and Quality Palliative Care) is an innovative programme between aged residential care (ARC) facilities in MidCentral DHB, Rangitikei and Arohanui Hospice. The programme is in response to the recognition by the Ministry of Health to provide quality palliative care for all, regardless of diagnosis or care setting
The overall aim is to improve the experience for those with palliative care need in aged residential care.
Why focus on aged care?
There is a growing need for primary palliative care in aged residential care. Projections show an increasing number of people are dying in this care setting.
How is this achieved?
A small team of specialist practitioners from Arohanui Hospice will work in partnership with ARC facility staff.
The SEQUAL team will;
- Support palliative care best practice
- Provide clinical mentoring and coaching by specialist palliative care nurses
- Support ARC staff and providers to actively plan and provide primary palliative and end of life care
- Facilitate the implementation of a quality framework to measure primary palliative care
- Strengthen collaboration and integration between specialist and primary palliative care services
How does this differ from hospice care?
The SEQUAL team will focus on supporting staff to care for all those in aged care with identified primary palliative care need. The Arohanui Hospice team will continue to work with those who have complex specialist palliative care need.
Bridget Marshall CNS (Lead) SEQUAL Palliative Care – 027 6718 140
Frances Hey CNS SEQUAL Palliative Care – 021 220 2274
Vicki Taylor RN SEQUAL Palliative Care – 021 284 0540
Pip Lewer SEQUAL Administrator – 06 356 6606
Also supported by Arohanui Hospice psycho-social, spiritual and cultural teams.